There are different power tools in a workshop or job site, each one important in its own way. A table saw is one of the major purchases in a good workshop and the backbone of most operations that take place during wood work. There is so much that one should consider when looking for a good table saw; it has to be dependable, affordable, have safety features, has to do what you want it to do for you and be durable. One example of a table saw that has a lot to offer is the contractor saw. These are the kind of table saws that can be used in the workshop and also on a job site. Some good examples of contractor saws include Makita 2705 10-Inch Contractor Table Saw, Rockwell RK7241S Table Sawwith Laser and DEWALT DWE7480XA 10-Inch Compact Job Site Table Sawwith Guarding System and Stand.
DEWALT DWE7480XA 10-Inch Compact Job Site Table Saw
List of features
- 15-amp 4800 rpm motor – The motor can rip through hardwood, trim materials, and shelving. The carbide blade that is 10-inch can easily be adjusted to create a bevel cut.
- Rack and pinion telescoping fence rails – This feature enables you to make smooth and accurate cuts and adjustments.
- Site-Pro Modular Guarding System – This is what allows you to make adjustments to the guarding components without the need for hand tools.
- 24” Rip Capacity – This enables you to use your table saw to rip through larger shelving and trim materials with ease.
- This table saw has a very simple and accurate set up that comes together very fast.
- It also comes with unmatched safety features that make this particular table saw a must have.
- Woodworkers understand the importance of a fence that stays right where you set it especially when cutting long boards; this key factor is a guarantee with this table saw.
- Dewalt DWE7480 comes in the right price range, right weight, right size for ease of use and suitable accessories.
- The table saw offers very high performance.
- It also has very easy to manage kick-back assembly.
- The fence is easy to move to and from the job site because of its light weight.
- When it comes to disadvantages, the only thing that is worth mentioning is the short cord. You almost always have to attach an extension cord when using the table saw.
As may have already seen there are a lot of great features to appreciate in this table saw. Although a disadvantage is noted, it is one that many people can live with. The impressive features it offers and the fact that it is a portable table saw makes it very much worth the investment. This is one of those table saws that offer both high performance and ease of movement. Today portability of a table saw is quite essential especially for ease of movement from one job site to another. If you add a three-year limited warranty to the great features, the DEWALT DWE7480XA 10-Inch Compact Job Site Table Saw with Guarding System and Stand becomes a good deal for any woodworker.
Rockwell RK7241S Table Saw with Laser
List of features
- Versatile and portable – Despite the heavy weight of this table saw, it can easily be moved from one job site to another.
- Impressive cutting Depth – The table saw can cut through a 4×4 post with a single pass, an impressive feature for a saw in its class.
- Folding fence – This enables the table saw to cut through extra wide sheets of material accurately with ease.
- Exclusive laser indicator – This feature is specifically made for accuracy and consistency, when cutting through materials, by providing a cutline indicator that shows you where the blade will cut.
- Trolley stand for Portability – This feature has integrated wheels with assembled features that make for easy transport.
- This table saw has a very powerful motor that enables it to rip through a variety of materials for woodworking.
- The laser indicator is very effective in providing precision when cutting, making your work accurate and clean.
- It is very easy to transport because of the trolley that has fully integrated wheels.
- The table saw has a 30-inch table that allows you to cut larger materials without any complications.
- The dust bag cannot be attached to a shop vacuum to help in faster cleaning. This only means that not all the sawdust is collected.
- The miter gauge is made of plastic which is not a suitable material.
Most of the table saws that offer high performance are usually heavy and not portable. This is where the Rockwell RK7241S Table Saw with Laser, stands out amongst other table saws. The laser indicator allows you to enjoy performance and portability at the same time. This is one of the reasons the Rockwell RK7241S Table Saw with Laser, offers great performance compared to table saws in its class. Usually, when you want power you have to sacrifice on certain features, but this table saw enables you to enjoy power, precision and portability in one saw. Even with the few drawbacks, this table saw still stands out as one of the best in the market.
Makita 2705 10-Inch Contractor Table Saw
- 15 AMP Power Motor – It has a motor that is able to deliver 4800 RMP. It is able to rip through a 4x material in a single pass with up to 16 dado blade.
- Tool-less Modular blade guard System – This system has adjustable dual side guards that are essential in offering easy measurement from blade to the rip fence.
- Flat table and a right extension table – The flat table allows for accurate cuts, while the extension table enables you to have the larger cutting capacity. It can cut through 4×8 foot sheet of plywood.
- Safety features – It has two independent stable anti-kickback pawls and a riving knife that can is meant for through, non-through and dado cuts.
- T-slot miter gauge – This feature is put in place to enhance the table saw’s cutting flexibility.
- 32 Teeth Blade – The table saw comes with a 32 teeth blade which is diamond hardened that is designed for easy cuts without chipping and can work through plywood up to 4×8 inches.
- Durability – It is powder coated to make it super durable, plus it comes with heavy duty wheels making transportation simple.
- Storage Capacity – It offers super storage capacity that can hold accessories like dado blade, saw blade, power supply cord, rip fence and much more.
- Better Precision – Makita 2705 has a rip fence that is designed to offer precise adjustments, with a design made for larger capacity.
- Ease to Use – The table saw is designed to be easily set up and is very portable. It is a table saw that is best for contractors, professional handymen, and furniture makers.
- Safe and Maximum Productivity – Makita 2705 offers safe operation features that make it popularly known as one of the safest table saws on the market. It also has quick tool change and electric brake for safe productivity.
- Warranty – Another advantage is that the table saw comes with a 1-year warranty plus a money back guarantee.
- Less Portability – The table saw does not come with any wheels, meaning it is less portable compared to other table saws.
Makita 2705 offers very impressive precision when it comes to cutting capabilities. The motor proves to be good enough to provide powerful performance which is a good feature for any table saw. Features such as cam-locking fence rip fence and T-slot miter gauge, enhance and boosts its cutting precision. Bottom line is that this table saw has a lot to offer in terms of capacity, precision and performance. The fact that is can be used by both professional woodworkers and enthusiasts makes it a good investment to make with regards to table saws. Makita 2705 has impressive performance and is worth a try!
Buying Tips Before You Make Decision
There is no better way to enjoy your woodwork than to prioritize safety. Despite the fact that table saws are very safe, they can still be inherently dangerous. One of the major concerns is kickback; very serious injuries can occur due to kickback. For this reason, a riving knife is a feature that is essential for preventing kickback. Most of the table knives are come with a riving knife, however if you buy one that was made some years back, it is best to invest in a good riving knife. Other safety features include foot switches, flesh sensors among others.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST TABLE SAW
It is important to be well informed on how to find the best and most suitable table saw for your workshop. There are several table saws out there that are important for different functions in woodworking. For this reason, you should be aware of what you need to do with the saw. You have to keep in mind the kind of materials you plan to work on, the thickness of the material and the budget you have set aside for this particular power tool. How much space you can avail for the table saw and what you will be using it for 90% of the time. With all these in mind, it will be easier for you to select the appropriate kind of table saw to suit your needs. For example, if you plan to rip through a 1-inch thick hardwood, then a contractor table saw with a 1.75 horsepower is good enough. But you will also need more horsepower if you plan to rip through a thick maple. The bottom line is; consider the kind of woodworking you plan to do.
WHAT FEATURES TO LOOK FOR IN A CONTRACTOR TABLE SAW
- Blade guard
Working without a blade guard can lead to injuries. This is a very important part of every table saw; it deflects sawdust from reaching your face and also protects your hands from a cut by the blade.
- Safety Features
When you finally get the kind of contractor saw you desire, it is essential to prioritize safety above all things. Ensure that the table saw has the required safety devices to help avoid injuries at the workshop. This should be a priority over convenience and even power.
- Fence system
Fence system is one of the essential features of any table saw. It is best to look for a single rail system that locks down tightly, with an easy-to-read scale.
- Table Top and Wings
You must avoid wings that have holes because it is easier for small parts to fall into them. They can also cause serious injuries because your fingers can also get caught in them. A good quality contractor saw usually has a cast iron table top of width 20” by about 27” of depth. If you include the width of the wings on both sides, then it goes up to about 40” wide.
- Right Tilt or Left Tilt
When it comes to the tilts, then it is best to go for the one that suits your preference. The preference is usually because every woodworker has an opinion and preference on this particular subject.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SAW BLADES
Saw blades are very important in a table saw. When planning to buy a saw blade, it is of great importance that you ensure compatibility. Some saws are best suited for ripping, crosscutting and mitering. Others are best for cutting through materials like acrylic, and others have a longer cutting life. Because of their difference, it is important to be well informed, in order to make the most suitable decision.